Contrary to much of popular opinion, libertarians aren’t “nuts”. In fact, many of the people who are libertarian tend to be quite well-informed and reasonable in their opinions. Who is really “nutty”? All of the people who want to hold onto the soon slipping away status quo.
- Those who want to hold onto a failed and invasive drug war are nutty, not those who want to end it.
- Those who want to continue spending like there is no tomorrow are nutty, not those who believe the government needs to significantly reduce its bloated budget.
- Those who want to hold everyone to their personal system of morals are nutty, not those who believe that people of different moral beliefs can coexist and indeed thrive together in society. The Jew can work along with the atheist, who can work along with the Hindu, who can work along with the Christian.
- Those who want to allow the government to continue its unprecedented invasion of civil liberties via the Patriot Act and NSA spying are nutty, not those who want to uphold the Constitutionally-protected natural liberties we should be enjoying.
- Those who want to allow the more than 662 military bases the US has abroad to stand are nutty, not those who want to cut back on the new imperialism of the US.
- Those who want to allow huge amounts of foreign aid are nutty, not those who think that money would be better in the pockets of those who earned it back in the United States.
- Those who want to keep the Federal Reserve actions secretive are nutty, not those who question the secretive collusion of big government with big banks.
- Those who want to bail out the big banks are nutty, not those who think the little guy (and the big guy) should be keeping that money for himself instead of spending it on other people’ s failed businesses.
I could go on. So the next time you hear “Libertarians are nutty” or that “Ron Paul is crazy,” you won’t just nod your head like a sheep. You will pause and say “You know, I think that Ron Paul might actually be on to something.” Your friends may diss you, but your conscience will thank you.