Trump Just Said 5 Words About Scalia’s Replacement… Conservatives Are Shaking Their Heads

Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump has been open and vocal in his criticism of the government.

The Republican stance on the appointment of a replacement for the late Supreme Court Justice Scalia is the latest topic to come into Trump’s crosshairs.

The sudden death of Scalia left a vacancy on the bench of the Supreme Court that will need to be filled. Each of the nine justices are appointed by the president and approved by the Senate.

There are currently four liberal justices and four conservative justices. Justice Scalia’s presence assured the conservatives maintained a majority since 1991, when President George H. W. Bush nominated conservative justice Clarence Thomas to replace the liberal justice Thurgood Marshall.

Two of the current liberal justices to the Supreme Court were nominated by President Obama. The Republican-controlled Senate has said they will delay approval for Scalia’s replacement until after the new president is elected.

But Trump questions the resolve of the Republicans to stand firm on their decision.

Trump told Stephen K. Bannon, executive chairman and host of Breitbart News Daily, that he has always considered Obama to be a lousy negotiator. The exception is when he is negotiating with Republicans.

He then voiced his concerns about the appointment of a justice.

“You look at the Supreme Court Judge — at first you heard the Senate was absolutely, ‘We will not do it,’” Trump said. “Yesterday, I started hearing, ‘Well there could be a way.’ The Republicans are already weakening.”

Trump said he is uncertain if the Senate will stick to its decision to delay the appointment or if they will give in to the president.

Trump was also quick to criticize last year’s budget that Republicans “approved in what, 15 seconds?”

President Obama has said he would act “in due time” to nominate a replacement Supreme Court justice.

h/t: Breitbart

5 Words This Candidate Just Said About His Campaign Has Rumors Flying That He’s Dropping Out

Once there were 17 men and women seeking to be the Republican presidential nominee. Now there are six.

Speculation that number will be decreased is peaking after former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush made the remark, “I should stop campaigning, maybe.”

Bush was venting disappointment Wednesday after South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley endorsed Florida Sen. Marco Rubio.

“It’s all decided, apparently,” Bush said in a sarcastic tone. “The pundits have already figured it out. We don’t have to go vote. I should stop campaigning maybe, huh? It’s all done.”

But Bush then added, “That’s not how democracy works.”

In reality, the expectations Bush may pack it in run deeper than a few words.

The Political Insider reported Thursday the Bush campaign had enough money to pay staff through Saturday’s South Carolina primary, and shared a tweet from syndicated columnist Phil Kerpen that Bush had told donors he would drop out unless he placed a “strong third” in the primary. He currently runs fourth or fifth in most polls.

“If he ends up fourth there (South Carolina), what justification will he have for continuing?,” wrote David A. Graham for The Atlantic. “He will have had poor results in the midwest, the northeast, and the south. It will show that attacks by his super PAC on Rubio haven’t vaulted their man ahead.”

One commentator suggested Bush should quit while it matters.

“Ironically, if Bush really wants to have an impact on the race, given that his campaign is broke, he should publicly get out of the race today,” wrote Erik Erickson on The Resurgent. “This would be like Rick Perry in 2012, who got out, cast his support to Gingrich at the last minute, and saw Gingrich storm into first place in South Carolina.”

“Bush could be the king maker if he gets out today,” Erickson wrote. “His campaign is broke, staff is being told they will not be paid after Saturday, and Bush could shake things up significantly if he gets out now.”

h/t: The Atlantic

Watch: Cruz Issues 3-Word Challenge To Trump- Could Change Everything Before SC Primary

At a press conference in South Carolina Wednesday, Sen. Ted Cruz goaded GOP rival Donald Trump to file a threatened defamation lawsuit regarding a Cruz campaign ad.

Attorneys for the Trump campaign delivered a cease and desist letter to the Cruz team calling on it to stop airing an ad called, Supreme Trust. The ad, which Trump says defames him, states Americans are just one Supreme Court justice away from losing rights related to “life,” “marriage,” “religious liberty,” and the “Second Amendment.”

The ad next shows a clip of Trump from a 1999 interview with Tim Russert, during which the businessman describes himself as “very pro-choice” and “I am pro-choice in every respect.” Supreme Trust ends with the narrator saying, “We cannot trust Donald Trump with these serious decisions.”

Trump has stated during the campaign that he had a change of heart in the 2000s regarding the lives of the unborn, based on the life experiences of some of his friends who faced decisions during their pregnancies. The candidate now describes himself as pro-life and supports banning abortions, except in the cases of rape and incest or to save the life of the mother.

Cruz — who is a Harvard-educated lawyer, as well as former Supreme Court clerk and Texas solicitor general — called on Trump to bring on the lawsuit. The senator said he may even represent himself if the businessman does.

“Donald, if you want to file a lawsuit challenging this ad, claiming it’s defamation, file the lawsuit [emphasis added],” Cruz told reporters. The Texas senator referenced the Russert interview and a comment that Trump recently made that his sister — who is a federal judge and pro-choice — would make a great Supreme Court justice, as some of the evidence he would offer at trial to show the ad is not defaming.  

“If Donald Trump files the lawsuit that he threatens in this letter, that lawsuit will be frivolous and it will result in both Donald Trump and any lawyer who signs his name leading to being sanctioned,” said Cruz. “So I look forward to any lawsuit.”

Trump fired back at Cruz.

“He is a liar and these ads and statements made by Cruz are clearly desperate moves by a guy who is tanking in the polls — watching his campaign go up in flames finally explains Cruz’s logo,” Trump said. The candidate went on to pledge, “If I want to bring a lawsuit it would be legitimate. Likewise, if I want to bring the lawsuit regarding Senator Cruz being a natural born Canadian I will do so. Time will tell, Teddy.”

While recent polling shows Trump garnering twice the support in South Carolina as Cruz, a new national poll finds the senator slightly edging out the former reality television star for the first time. The latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll has Cruz at 28 percent, followed by Trump at 26, Marco Rubio at 17, John Kasich at 11, Ben Carson at 10 and Jeb Bush at 4 percent.

Meanwhile, a new Quinnipiac University poll finds Trump surging over his rivals with 39 percent support, followed by Rubio at 19 percent, Cruz at 18 percent, Kasich at 6 percent and Bush and Carson at 4 percent each.

Cruz’s attorney responded to the Trump cease and desist letter stating not only will the campaign not stop running Supreme Trust“We now plan to air the ad with greater frequency.”

h/t: Politico

Trump Just Threatened To Do Something MASSIVE If Ted Cruz Doesn’t Do These 3 Things

Donald Trump, whose “visceral” campaign has him atop the field of Republican presidential hopefuls, continued to push the envelope Friday as he ratcheted up his war of words with rival Sen. Ted Cruz.

“If ‪@TedCruz doesn’t clean up his act, stop cheating, & doing negative ads, I have standing to sue him for not being a natural born citizen,” said a Trump Friday in one part of a double-barreled Twitter slam at Cruz.

“How can Ted Cruz be an Evangelical Christian when he lies so much and is so dishonest?” Trump tweeted earlier.


Cruz pushed back just as hard.

“There is more than a little irony in Donald accusing anyone of being nasty given the amazing torrent of insults and obscenities and vulgarities that come out of his mouth,” Cruz said. “Being attacked by Donald, it is always colorful. I will give him this: he’s not boring.”

Legal scholars have been split on Trump’s claim that Cruz’s Canadian birth might make him ineligible to serve as president due to the Constitutional requirement that the president be a “natural born” American.

Mary Brigid McManamon, a constitutional law professor at Delaware Law School, said her belief is that Cruz is not a natural born citizen based on a strict interpretation of the Constitution, and that Trump has standing to sue.

She said in theory, Trump should win a suit, but reality might be different.

“It would be interesting to see if a court would actually take it,” she said. “They really don’t want to be in the middle of a political hot potato.”

Trump’s attacks on Cruz are part of a larger pattern.

“Trump is running an exceptionally visceral campaign. His goal is not so much the inspiration of the country as the domination of the other candidates. And it has generally worked. They respond to his attacks, hush when he shushes them and envy his huge . . . poll numbers,” wrote Michael Gerson in The Washington Post.

h/t: Young Conservatives

Report: 1st New Poll Out Of South Carolina Shows A Clear Leader- This Will Get Interesting…

A new internal poll from the South Carolina Republican presidential primary shows a tightening race, with Donald Trump still maintaining a strong lead, but Sen. Ted Cruz and Sen. Marco Rubio gaining ground.

The poll results were published Thursday by the Weekly Standard in a brief story by editor-in-chief Bill Kristol.

Kristol reported the results came to him from a political operative whom he trusts and not affiliated with any of the campaigns.

The results: Trump 32 percent, Cruz 26, Rubio 20, Gov. Jeb Bush 10, Ben Carson 7, and Gov. John Kasich 2. 

The article does not indicate how recently the poll was conducted, but presumably it was done sometime in the past week.

“Take it with the usual grains of salt, but I do trust these were the actual results of an honest and competent pollster doing his best to get an accurate read on the situation,” Kristol wrote.

Perhaps, it is also worth noting that Kristol is not fan of Trump.

There have been no public polls conducted in South Carolina for over three weeks, meaning none have taken place since the results in Iowa and New Hampshire, and the exit of some candidates from the field.

The Real Clear Politics average of polls from the period of Jan. 15-23 had the race: Trump 36 percent, Cruz 19.7, Rubio 12.7, Bush 10, Carson 8.7, Gov. Chris Christie 2.3, Mike Huckabee 2, Kasich 2, Rand Paul 2, Carly Fiorina 1.7, and Rick Santorum 0.3.

Since that time, Christie, Huckabee, Paul, Fiorina and Santorum have left the field, so their approximately 8 percent of support in the Palmetto state will go to the other candidates, which gives some credence to the Weekly Standard’s published numbers.

If the poll is more-or-less accurate, Trump has lost a small percentage of support, while Cruz and Rubio have picked up approximately 7 points each.

As in Iowa, evangelicals will likely make up approximately two-thirds of Republican primary voters, which one would think would bode well for Cruz. However, Trump won the evangelical vote in New Hampshire, with 27 percent to Cruz’s 23 percent and Rubio’s 13 percent.

Rubio will hope to bounce back in South Carolina after a disappointing 5th place finish in New Hampshire, which came on the heels of a stronger-than-expected, third-place finish in Iowa.

Delegates in the Palmetto state are apportioned proportionally, based on the percentage of the vote each candidate receives. The total delegates standing overall is Trump 17, Cruz 10, Rubio 7, Kasich 4, and Bush 3.

h/t: Bloomerg