There’s a charred fuel pump at a gas station on the corner of Ten Mile and Van Dyke roads in Centerline, Michigan.
That is because on Tuesday, a careless driver tried to kill a spider crawling around the gas tank of his car. While the man was pumping, he noticed the eight legged creature crawling around his gas tank. Thinking that he could quickly dispatch the spider by setting it on fire, he grabbed his cigarette lighter and flicked it.
The man’s plan worked. The fire apparently killed the spider, but also set fire to his car and the gas pump. The whole thing was caught on video.
— Tom Berman (@tombermanap) September 28, 2015
The man admitted that he is deathly scared of spiders and simply wasn’t thinking when he ignited the lighter to kill the spider.
Gas station fires and explosions can result when customers smoke while pumping and when static electricity occurs near the tank. Gas stations post no smoking signs and advise customers to touch metal before they handle the gas pumps.
It is unclear if there will be new signage as a result of this latest gas station fire.
What do you think? Should there be signs telling customers not to try and kill spiders with their lighters while pumping?