Bobby Jindal: We’re A Judeo-Christian Nation

Christopher Halloran / Shutterstock.com  Christopher Halloran / Shutterstock.com

In a radio interview Monday, Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana reiterated some familiar lines about America’s need to return to its Judeo-Christian heritage. It is rumored that Jindal will make a run for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination.

“This is a place where you have freedom of self-determination, freedom of religious liberty, freedom of speech,” Jindal said. “This is an amazing place and we’re a majority Christian country. We’re a Judeo-Christian heritage, but we don’t discriminate against those that have no beliefs and or have different beliefs.”

But what is not acceptable and what you’ve seen in Europe and this is a very serious particular threat, you’ve got those that do want to try to impose a form of sharia law. And sharia law is antithetical, mutually exclusive of freedom, in treating women as first class citizens, it is antithetical to the values we hold dear.

And you see third, fourth generation immigrants in the U.K., France, in other places in Europe that don’t consider themselves part of those societies and that’s very dangerous.

Jindal made the remarks on Family Research Council’s Washington Watch.

The Louisiana governor addressed a prayer rally at Louisiana State University last week in which he proclaimed “our God” will be the victor. “We can’t just elect a candidate and fix what ails our country,” he said. “We can’t just pass a law and fix what ails our country. We need a spiritual revival to fix what ails our country.”

It is like God has given us the book of life. He doesn’t let us see the pages for today and tomorrow. He doesn’t promise us everything will go the way you want, but he does let you see the last page in the book of life. And on the last page, our God wins.

Jindal is a convert to Catholicism and called himself an “evangelical Catholic” in a Washington Post interview last May. He doubled down Monday, asserting that not assimilating into the American culture could be construed as “invasion.”

 “But what’s not acceptable is people that want to come and conquer us. That’s not immigration by the way, that’s colonization,” he said.

 If someone wants to come here and change our fundamental culture and our values. If they want to come here and they want to set up their own culture and values, that’s not immigration, that’s really invasion if you’re honest about it.

The potential GOP contender also suggested if America is not “serious” about tackling this issue, we could face more terrorist attacks comparable to the one in Paris earlier this month.

Of course, the politically correct crowd when you say things like they’ll call you racist but this is a particular threat we face. And if we’re not serious about this we’re going to see more lone wolf actors. We’re gonna see more folks come into our country just like you’ve seen in other countries – the horrific shootings in Paris.

 h/t: Pat Dollard

This post originally appeared on Western Journalism – Informing And Equipping Americans Who Love Freedom

Police Stop Teens Who Want To Shovel Snow

Photo credit: Stuart Monk / Shutterstock.com

Police recently stopped a pair of teens in Bound Brook, New Jersey, from making money by shoveling snow.

The teens, Matt Molinari and Eric Schnepf, both 18, were canvassing a neighborhood and handing out fliers when they were told to stop by the police.

One Bound Brook resident saw Schnepf being questioned by police after coming to his door and asked:

Are you kidding me? Our generation does nothing but complain about his generation being lazy and not working for their money. Here’s a couple kids who take the time to print up flyers, walk door to door in the snow, and then shovel snow for some spending money. And someone calls the cops and they’re told to stop?

It turns out Bound Brook has a law against unlicensed solicitors and peddlers.

Police Chief Michael Jannone commented that neither of the teens were arrested or issued a ticket. He also stated that the primary concern of the police was that they were out in dangerous conditions, not that they were unlicensed. He said:

We don’t make the laws but we have to uphold them. This was a state of emergency. Nobody was supposed to be out on the road.

The police told the teens that, although they could not go door to door offering their services, they could shovel walkways if residents called them.

In this particular borough, anyone selling goods and services door to door must apply for a permit that costs as much as $450 and is valid for only 180 days.

Similar laws have prevented kids from operating lemonade stands or selling Girl Scout cookies.

The pair of teens did manage to get five jobs, each paying from $25 to $40 per house.

Should teens be prohibited from going door to door offering to shovel snow? Feel free to share your thoughts.

This post originally appeared on Western Journalism – Informing And Equipping Americans Who Love Freedom

Hezbollah Attacks Israel, Uses New Advanced Weaponry

Twitter/The Independent

At noon today, Hezbollah launched an attack across the Israeli-Lebanese border.

Fourth generation Kornet anti-tank missiles were fired at two IDF vehicles in the Har Dov area that were subsequently destroyed. This was the first time Hezbollah used this advanced anti-tank missile.

The IDF immediately responded with artillery fire on Hezbollah positions in Lebanon. After that, Hezbollah fired mortars on Israeli villages in the area of Mount Hermon, the highest mountain in Israel.

Two Israeli soldiers were killed, and seven others were wounded critically. Several Israeli citizens were also lightly wounded by Hezbollah fire and were evacuated to Ziv Hospital in Safed.

The attacks today came after Hezbollah launched four rockets at the Golan Heights on Tuesday. Overnight, Israel responded with attacks on Hezbollah positions in Syria.

Hezbollah claimed that the attack on Israel was justified, and that it was an act of ‘legal resistance’ since the organization disputes Israeli sovereignty over the Har Dov area. In fact, this has been Hezbollah’s excuse for continuing its hostilities against the Jewish state after Israel withdrew fully from Lebanon in May 2000. The United Nations confirmed later that no Lebanese territory is occupied by Israel anymore.

The current escalation with Hezbollah began on January 15th when the leader of the terrorist organization Hassan Nasrallah gave an interview threatening to invade Israel’s Galilee region that is adjacent to the Golan Heights. During the same interview, Nasrallah said that Israel would be surprised about Hezbollah’s new weaponry in the next confrontation.

That was followed by an outright provocation on Sunday, January 18th, when Hezbollah and the Iranian Revolutionary Guard deployed a convoy from the Hezbollah-controlled territory in Syria towards the Israeli border near Kuneitra. The Israeli Air Force launched an airstrike on the convoy, killing six Hezbollah commandants and six members of the IRGC, including a general.

As Western Journalism reported earlier this week, Iran now controls large swaths of territory in Syria and is involved in a new secret nuclear facility near Qusayr, Syria.

Following the deadly IAF attack on the Hezbollah, both Iran and Hezbollah vowed to take revenge and threatened Israel again with annihilation.

The Israeli army has remained in a state of high alert ever since and expected the Hezbollah attack. Nevertheless, Hezbollah succeeded to execute an operation that had the hallmarks of the attack on two IDF jeeps in July 2006, which led to the Second Lebanon War.

This time, however, both sides seem to have an interest in limiting the conflict. Hezbollah is bogged down in the Syrian civil war and also has financial problems. The Shiite organization also faces domestic problems and has lost a great deal of support amongst the Lebanese population because of its support for Syria’s dictator, el-Assad. The Lebanese news source Naharnet, for example, immediately condemned the attack on Israel and wrote on Twitter that Hezbollah’s role in the Golan does not serve Lebanon or Palestine, but Iran.

Israel went through a war with Hamas last summer and is in the midst of an election campaign. The country faces multiple problems, such as increasing Palestinian terrorism and political warfare by the Palestinian Authority that is meant to erode Israel’s position in the international community.

After the attack this morning, Israeli and Lebanese experts pointed out that the Hezbollah attack was meant to restore its deterrence versus Sunni Islamist groups such as the Islamic State. The IAF attack on the convoy near Kuneitra on January 18th was a humiliation for both Iran and Hezbollah. It could have given the Sunni Islamist groups the impression that Hezbollah is weak and that this would be a good moment to remove the group from power in Lebanon.

Israel has to retain its deterrence versus Hezbollah and Iran in light of the Iranian takeover of Syria and, more recently, Yemen, where last week Iran-backed Houthi rebels took control of the presidential palace in the capital of Sana’a. For this reason, Israel cannot allow Hezbollah to take control of the border area on the Golan Heights.

Sources in Netanyahu’s bureau were quoted as saying, “Iran is behind this heinous terrorist attack. The same Iran that the world powers are forming an agreement with, that would allow it to maintain its ability to acquire nuclear weapons capacity.”

“This is the same Iran that tried to build a terrorist infrastructure in the Golan Heights, similar to what it has in Syria, Lebanon, Gaza, Iraq and Yemen. This is the same Iran that supports terrorism around the globe,” the sources said.

Omri Ceren contributed to this report

This post originally appeared on Western Journalism – Informing And Equipping Americans Who Love Freedom

University Bans Use Of ‘Mr., Mrs. Or Ms.’ In The Name Of Political Correctness

Wikipedia/Alex Irklievski

According to recent reports, the Graduate Center of the City University of New York has handed down a decision that will force its staff to ditch certain honorifics when addressing others. The new policy prohibits the use of “Mr., Mrs. or Ms.” due to their potentially discriminatory characteristics.

CUNY Interim Provost Louise Lennihan distributed a memo touting the “respectful, welcoming and gender-inclusive learning environment” the new policy will help preserve, explaining the absence of these titles serves to “accommodate properly the diverse population of current and prospective students.”

While another university source suggested the policy shift was part of the school’s compliance with federal law, however, at least one expert in anti-discrimination legislation confirmed no such policy is required.

“They are not mandated to do this,” attorney Saundra Schuster said.

Regardless of legal requirements, though, CUNY staff members took the memo as a direct order to curtail the use of certain gender-based titles.

“My interpretation was that I was being asked to adhere to this policy,” said professor Juliette Blevins, “as were the professors who received the letter.”

Another CUNY professor, Joseph Borelli, indicated that he is open to embracing whatever titles his students prefer, though he opposes limiting speech with this restrictive policy.

“If a student asked me to call him Godzilla, I would happily call him Godzilla,” he said, “or whatever anyone asked to be called. But we do not need another ultra-PC policy change.”

This post originally appeared on Western Journalism – Informing And Equipping Americans Who Love Freedom

Howard Dean Forced To Apologize For ‘American Sniper’ Comments

Howard Dean

Former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean speculated last Friday on Real Time with Bill Maher that most of the moviegoers who went to see American Sniper were angry and from the Tea Party.

His comments have generated a lot of buzz, so much so that he says he’s been receiving countless tweets from “right-wing nut jobs” calling him out for making them.

Actor Gary Sinise joined the cause and called out Dean for his comments, forcing Dean on MSNBC’s Hardball with Chris Matthews to make a public apology for his comments.

“This is something in which I’ve almost never done in politics, I’ll apologize to the veterans,” Dean said. “I haven’t seen the movie, and I think it was wrong. I talked to a lot of people about it.”

But before his actual apology, he first had to take a jab at the Right.

“I make no apology to the thousands of right-wing nut jobs who’ve been Twittering me with nasty language, but I do apologize to the veterans; we owe them a lot and I think this movie was much more nuanced than I thought,” he added. “I have a lot of respect for the people who served this country and I apologize.”

Twitter responded to Dean’s apology and his presumptive criticism before watching the movie:

h/t: Right Scoop

This post originally appeared on Western Journalism – Informing And Equipping Americans Who Love Freedom