As the lone black member currently serving in the U.S. Senate, South Carolina Republican Tim Scott began taking heat from the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People even before he was sworn in Thursday.
Giving him a failing grade, NAACP President Ben Jealous claimed Scott “is not one of” the “Republicans who believe in civil rights.”
The race-bating spokesperson explained the scoring system as “always about what’s in people’s hearts,” suggesting the GOP has historically “gone after so-called RINOs” based simply on their civil rights positions.
To those who view everything in terms of race, it’s a natural reaction to assume that any criticism of the left is due to inherent racism – even when the critic is black.
Instead of a levelheaded discussion, individuals like Jealous seek only to sully their target’s reputation through character assassination and unfounded attacks.
During an interview after the incident, Scott called the accusations against him “baseless,” explaining “some folks really want to find a way to make race more of a part of their conversation going forward.”
As one Fox News host explained, the NAACP included Scott’s position on issues completely unrelated to race – including greenhouse gas regulation – in its tirade against him.
To Scott, the entire ordeal is “almost laughable,” though he noted “some people take it pretty seriously.” Instead of sideshow sensationalism like that coming from Jealous, Scott said he chooses to “focus on the serious opportunities to move moving people forward.”
In the end, he said that the fundamental difference between his worldview and the NAACP has nothing at all to do with civil rights.
“[F]olks like Mr. Jealous believe that a larger government somehow means more freedom,” he said. “I just completely disagree.”
I firmly second that statement, which apparently means I’d receive an “F” rating from the NAACP, too. I’m OK with that.
Click here to get B. Christopher Agee’s latest book for less than $5! Like his Facebook page for engaging, relevant conservative content daily.
Photo Credit: Vote Tim Scott 1 (Creative Commons)
Get Informed! Read More About this topic::
- Israel Must Live: A Missing Chord In The American Black Civil Rights Chorus A generation ago, the Black civil rights lobby stood solidly...
- Biden Calls Transgender Discrimination The ‘Civil Rights Issue Of Our Time’ Photo Credit: Floyd Brown Creative Commons Does Biden really believe...
- Video: NAACP: Tea Party The “Taliban Wing Of American Politics” Julian Bond, the head of the NAACP, was on MSNBC...
- Black Conservatives Ask Supreme Court To Invalidate Section 5 Of Voting Rights Act Legal Brief Argues Voting Rights Act’s Selective “Preclearance” Restrictions are...
- Top Two Reasons I’m A Conservative American Black Growing up in the late sixties and seventies, I saw...