My fellow Americans of all colors and creeds, this proposal will offend some and comfort others. It is offered in the spirit of fulfilling the pledge E Pluribus Unum: ” Out of Many One. ”
I propose we rename the annual February observance known as Black History Month. My suggestion is: “American History Month.”
Historian Dr. Carter G. Woodson founded its precursor, Negro History Week, in 1926, at the height of open racism against American Blacks.
It was unquestioned that we were written out of American history, and what was said wasn’t very flattering. The observance evolved into a month-long intensive recognition of our contributions to this country and humanity.
Generations of heroic sacrifice by ourselves and allied Americans have reloaded the nation today, where we are more informed about ourselves than at any time.
I propose we take this February observance and make it an exploration of how we’ve upgraded from outcasts to citizenship.
Black History Month partisans will obviously howl heresy!
They’ll say that removing its ethnic focus robs us of precious self-knowledge yet again.
I counter that if we cannot present ourselves as Americans finally, then all legal enfranchisement efforts were in vain.
The idea of a Black History Month in a post-segregation America smacks of separatism to a population made to bear the burden of past racism.
Renaming Black History Month would be the final olive branch needed to end a racial cold war between American Blacks and Whites, which must end if America is to bury large-scale racism forever.
American History Month wouldn’t whitewash the Black presence in America.
It would welcome the American presence of Blacks as finally part of her body politic- not as ironically self-imposed outcasts a generation after full enfranchisement.
How does this sound throughout February 2013?:
“Happy American History Month!”
Just a thought from your Americentric brother!
Cap Black, The Hood Conservative, says,
“ Happy American History Month! ”
Help Cap Black Help Others!
” Be your OWN Superhero!”
Photo credit: Toban Black (Creative Commons)
- Black History Month: A Race Hustler’s Dream by Suzanne Eovaldi, CoachIsRight.com “White America still owes us,” is…
- Israel Must Live: A Missing Chord In The American Black Civil Rights Chorus A generation ago, the Black civil rights lobby stood solidly…
Get Informed! Read More About this topic::
- American History Month Coming Up In February! American History Month is my suggestion for re-naming Black History...
- Black History Month In Perspective In February, we will be celebrating Black History Month. It...
- Video: Nanny Of The Month: March 2013 Edition They make it their business to mind your business; and...
- Top Two Reasons I’m A Conservative American Black Growing up in the late sixties and seventies, I saw...
- Israel Must Live: A Missing Chord In The American Black Civil Rights Chorus A generation ago, the Black civil rights lobby stood solidly...