The commissioner of a Pennsylvania hockey league is curtailing the practice of beginning games with the national anthem, which has many fans crying foul.
“We are recommending the national anthem not be played, or sung, or whatever it is,” he explained, alleging his decision “has absolutely nothing to do with patriotism at all.”
The allegation, he said, is “the futhest thing from the truth.”
Affecting 183 high school teams, the decision was ostensibly made to save money.
“Ice is very, very hard to get and it’s not cheap,” the commissioner said, explaining teams pay “$300 an hour sometimes or even higher than that” to rent rink time.
Still, many wonder if cutting a relatively short aspect of the game — one that has long been a part of the sport — is really the best way to skim money from the league budget.
None other than a local network news affiliate said “playing the National Anthem is as much a part of sporting events as hot dogs and yelling at the officials.”
The negative response apparently caused the commissioner to reconsider his recommendation. He promises to revisit the debate at a future meeting.
Seriously suggesting the cut, though, shows how far we’ve moved as a nation.
Joining citizens together by engaging in our collective anthem has been a tradition for generations. In a way, it even created a common ground between the bitterest of rivals.
At least one high school hockey commissioner feels that the patriotic kickoff is the most disposable aspect of the entire experience, not even worth the few dollars it might cost to rent the ice for a couple of minutes.
Immigrants — legal or not — are finding it less important than ever to assimilate; and with the last vestiges of American unity being challenged at every turn, I feel this nation will only continue to become more splintered and divided than ever.
B. Christopher Agee founded The Informed Conservative in 2011. Like his Facebook page for engaging, relevant conservative content daily
- Communism On Parade? High School Marches To Marx And Lenin Editor’s note: A version of this piece first appeared at FoxNews.com….
- ACLU: High School’s Father-daughter Dance Is Discriminatory The American Civil Liberties Union has certainly taken an interest…
Get Informed! Read More About this topic::
- You Didn’t Learn This In High School Government Class KrisAnne Hall posted this video of her participation in a...
- Communism On Parade? High School Marches To Marx And Lenin Editor’s note: A version of this piece first appeared at FoxNews.com....
- ACLU: High School’s Father-daughter Dance Is Discriminatory The American Civil Liberties Union has certainly taken an interest...
- PA High Court Takes Hard Look At Voter Id Law PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Pennsylvania’s Supreme Court justices are weighing the...