WASHINGTON — Congressman Steve Stockman today formally announced his intentions to file a discharge petition to force a vote on creating a House Select Committee to investigate White House actions regarding the Sept. 11, 2012 terrorist killings of four Americans in Benghazi, Libya.
“It has been nearly a year since terrorists killed an American ambassador and three other U.S. citizens in a coordinated attack. Yet, not one survivor has been allowed to testify to Congress and repeated requests for information have been blocked. Two different hearings have been canceled after witnesses were confronted and some intimidated,” said Stockman.
“If four members of Obama’s personal staff had been killed there would rightfully have been a full investigation and congressional hearings. But not one perpetrator has been brought to justice and requests for witnesses and information have been blocked,” said Stockman.
“The usual channels for justice are being cut off. We have no other choice than to file a discharge petition to force a vote of the full Congress on Congressman Frank Wolf’s bill creating a Select Committee with full subpoena power. The survivors and the victims’ families deserve answers and all Americans overseas deserve to know why their Commander-In-Chief left men to die at the hands of terrorists. All Americans owe Congressman Wolf a deep debt for his bravery in demanding answers and justice.”
Stockman was joined at the event by Reps. Louie Gohmert and Paul Broun, along with former Rep. and retired Army Lt. Col. Allen West. Representatives of “Special Operations Speaks” unfurled a 60-foot-long petition on the Capitol Grounds signed by 1,000 Special Forces veterans supporting a House Select Committee.
Stockman will introduce the discharge petition in the coming days once details are worked out with the House parliamentarian. If 218 members attach their signatures Wolf’s bill, H. Res. 36, will be recalled from committee and considered on the House floor.