Watch: Angry Parents Stand Up To School Board Over Lessons On ‘Gay Marriage'; Room Erupts

The school board in Fairfax County, Va., overwhelmingly passed a measure last week concerning the district’s sexual education curriculum.

WTTG reported last Thursday that the board voted 10-2 to keep part of the Family Life Education (FLE) curriculum for K-10 students. This means students could learn about gender identity and sexual orientation in the seventh grade. Only members Patricia S. Reed and Elizabeth Schultz voted no.

According to an FLE Fact Sheet, parents will have the opportunity to opt their children out.

“Parents, do you want your children in Kindergarten to hear about same-sex marriage under the guise of families?” Andrea Lafferty, a Fairfax County parent and president of the Traditional Values Coalition, asked parents during the public comment portion of the meeting, according to CNS News. “No!” they shouted.

“Parents, do you want your children in fifth grade to hear about Gonorrhea and Syphilis? No! We want opt outs and we want to keep them safe,” she continued. “Do you want gender identity to be introduced to seventh grade? No! We want opt outs to remain.”

WTTG, coming out of the meeting, found some very divided opinions on the matter. “It’s certainly a step in the right direction of respecting more students and understanding the perspective of other students who have different gender identities or different sexual orientations,” said David Aponte. “The fact is not whether you opt out of the curriculum full of lies, it’s that you shouldn’t be using taxpayer money to develop a curriculum of lies in the first place,” said Kathy Healy.

The Washington, D.C., Fox affiliate caught up with Schultz, one of the board members who voted “no” after the meeting. “I am very concerned that we’re watching a legacy of an environment that is setting this board at odds with parents,” Schultz said.

Certainly policymaking done on the fly without consideration of the people on whom the policy has the greatest level of impact –and to do so without a great degree of care and to make sure that we’re representing the people who have elected us to be here — can only yield bad policy.

“Now our time is going to be distracted and taken away from the real work of the board,” Schultz added. “We should be worried about educating 186,000 students and not about all of this peripheral political stuff.”

h/t: The Blaze

Are you concerned with what’s being taught in our schools? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.

This post originally appeared on Western Journalism – Equipping You With The Truth

Watch: Homeless Vet’s Piano Skills Will BLOW You Away, But The Real Story Is Who He’s Playing For

Northern Florida has found its “Piano Man.”

A video of a homeless man in Sarasota has gone viral after he was captured flawlessly performing “Come Sail Away” by Styx.

Donald Gould, 51 is a retired Marine who was spotted playing on one of the seven pianos on the sidewalks in downtown Sarasota. “It is my passion. I just like to make people happy out there when I’m playing,” Gould told WFLA. “I put my hat out there and sit it on top of the keyboard in hopes of making tips because I’m homeless.”

You can watch the video in its entirety below.

The network explained the pianos are part of the Sarasota Keys project. “It’s an interactive public arts project in downtown Sarasota,” said Jim Shirley of the Arts and Cultural Alliance of Sarasota County. “The whole idea is to give access to people who want to express themselves.”

More than 500,000 people had seen the video within 24 hours of its posting. “It’s overwhelming to me. I can’t believe it. I‘m still fighting off tears. It’s unbelievable. I never thought it would come to this. I’m a clarinet player,” Gould said. The former Marine explains to WFLA the hard times he has faced:

I had a wife pass away on me in ‘98 and I had a son and I was kind of heavy into the pill thing. They took our child away from us, and my wife took a handful of morphine pills and died. She just went to sleep. I couldn’t keep it together and eventually social services got tired of it and they terminated my parental rights.

Everyday it’s painful. There’s not a day that’s gone by since they took him from me that I haven’t thought about him. He turned 18 last August 24th. I wish he would come and find me.

While he appreciates the positive reaction his performance has been receiving, Gould told WFLA he hopes his son sees it and reaches out to him. “I’ve always loved him from the day he was born. I’m never going to stop loving him,” Gould said.

h/t: IJ Review

Does this performance move you? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.

This post originally appeared on Western Journalism – Equipping You With The Truth

Watch: It Only Takes 2 Minutes For This 12-Yr-Old To Completely Demolish George Takei

12-year-old conservative C.J. Pearson criticized actor and activist George Takei on his YouTube channel after the Star Trek star made comments critical of United States Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas for his dissent in last week’s ‘gay marriage’ ruling.

Takei told KSAZ in an interview Tuesday that he was “angry” at Thomas for dissenting from the majority in Obergefell v. Hodges, which legalized ‘gay marriage’ in all 50 states. “He is a clown in blackface sitting on the Supreme Court,” Takei said. “He gets me that angry. He doesn’t belong there.”

Pearson, taking exception to Takei’s remarks, took to his widely popular YouTube channel shortly thereafter. “Some people that demand the most tolerance can be the most intolerant who you will ever meet in your life,” Pearson said. “And these racist bigoted comments coming from this man is just one more indication of that.”

“I am sick and tired of the left calling us racist, calling us bigots, and calling us people who don’t care about black people,” the boy continued. “But yet, when they say that ‘someone’s got a blackface.’ And well, it’s a okay. It’s not okay! It’s never been okay and it never will be okay. Understood, George?” Pearson took the rest of the video to address Takei directly:

Because guess what, George? I’m sorry, but if a man stands for what he believes, and for Clarence Thomas it was that marriage is between a man and a woman and the Constitution doesn’t grant that purview that’s between a man and a man and a woman and a woman. That’s his belief.

And for you to call someone a blackface is one of the most racist comments that anyone really could. And you are a disgusting tool. You don’t deserve a voice in the public arena. You don’t deserve a voice in the public arena, you don’t deserve to speak up, really. You’re disgusting. And you need to shut up, sit down, and think about what you said. This is outrageous.

Pearson announced Friday on his Facebook page he would be taking a “break from politics and political commentary” after noting a woman threatened to sue him for expressing his opinions. He did say he will have a team that will continue to monitor all of his social media platforms in the interim.

Do you support C.J. Pearson? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.

This post originally appeared on Western Journalism – Equipping You With The Truth

WARNING: This Sort Of Shock Video Could Become Commonplace With More Police Body Cams

ADVISORY: THE VIDEO ACCOMPANYING THIS STORY CONTAINS EXTREMELY GRAPHIC IMAGES AND MAY BE DISTURBING TO SOME. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

Ever since the shooting death of Michael Brown by Ferguson, Mo., police officer Darren Wilson, there’s been an increasing number of calls for the use of body cameras by law enforcement in big cities as well as small towns. Only a few weeks ago, the Obama administration began a program to study the impact of having officers routinely wear body cams to record interactions with the public, especially with people suspected of crimes or those with whom the officer may have a controversial encounter.

As reported by USA Today, the Justice Department is putting up tens of millions of dollars toward the purchase of some 50,000 body-worn video cameras.

“Body-worn cameras hold tremendous promise for enhancing transparency, promoting accountability and advancing public safety for law enforcement officers and the communities they serve,” Attorney General Loretta Lynch said.

However, as the video associated with this report graphically shows, what those police body cams capture can also hold the tremendous potential for exposing the public to shocking, even horrifying, scenes.

The New York Daily News reports that a 47-year-old Texas man was caught on body-mounted cameras worn by two police officers as he pulled a gun on the cops, who then dropped the man in a hail of bullets. It all happened on May 31st, starting inside a restaurant in Palestine, Tx., then moving outside, where the man is seen drawing a gun that turned out to be a BB pistol.

Identified as James Bushey of Elkhart, Tx., the man was supposedly wanted for questioning in connection with the theft of beer from a nearby store. What appeared at first to be an incident-free detention of the suspect in the restaurant’s bathroom quickly escalated into a fatal confrontation.

Ater an investigation by police and prosecutors, the two officers involved in the fatal shooting were cleared of wrongdoing and the recording of their actions was released. You can watch what happened by clicking on the video above.

ADVISORY: THE VIDEO ACCOMPANYING THIS STORY CONTAINS EXTREMELY GRAPHIC IMAGES AND MAY BE DISTURBING TO SOME. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

What do you think? Is it good that the footage from police body cams is released to the public so we can all see just what happened in cases like this? Weigh in on the conversation by commenting below.

This post originally appeared on Western Journalism – Equipping You With The Truth

WATCH The Insane Thing That Happens When A Thrashing Shark Capsizes Fisherman’s Boat

When it comes to big fish stories, here’s one about the monster that didn’t get away…though, quite possibly, you might think that an angler in his right mind would have gladly let it go.

Sharks have been in the news quite a lot lately. Seven reported shark attacks in shallow coastal waters off North Caroline over the past few weeks have vacationers keeping a very close eye on the surf. And when Western Journalism shared a Tennessee woman’s self-made video about how to avoid shark attacks — a video called “Summer Safety Tips” that’s been viewed close to 6 million times — people who watched the very entertaining piece about a very serious subject went wild with appreciation.

Now, another video about a determined fisherman’s wild experience off Florida when a bull shark as big as his kayak took the bait and took the man for a scary ride. Fox News identifies the intrepid angler as Capt. Ben Chancey, who had to swim for his life when the 8-foot fish thrashed about and capsized the small boat.

However, once Chancey swam to the safety of a nearby vessel and caught his breath, he got right back on the horse, so to speak, hopped back into his kayak, and reeled in the shark that was still on his line. After besting the beast, Chancey reportedly let it go.

You can watch the insane recording of this dangerously close encounter by clicking on the video above.

This post originally appeared on Western Journalism – Equipping You With The Truth