Just as Americans are gearing up for their Thanksgiving travel plans, the U.S. Department of State has issued an alert that every American should heed.
As Fox News reports, the State Department has issued a worldwide travel alert this week after information that a list of terror groups are warning of attacks to come.
Terror groups such as ISIS, Al Qaeda, and Boko Haram have all issued major threats that are likely to employ a “wide variety of tactics,” and have increased their activities to show that these aren’t just idol threats.
The alert, posted to the State Department website on Monday, has been issued on the heels of attacks in France, Nigeria, Denmark, and Turkey–not to mention the downing of a Russian airliner in Egypt, for which ISIS has claimed responsibility.
After the attacks in Paris earlier this month, it is clear that ISIS and other such groups are extremely capable of exporting their terrorism to other countries far outside their Middle Eastern strongholds.
With its alert, the State Department said Americans should “exercise vigilance.”
“US citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using transportation,” the alert said. “Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid large crowds or crowded places. Exercise particular caution during the holiday season and at holiday festivals or events.”
The alert is in place until February 24, according to the government.
Still, despite the heightened state of alert, the State Department noted that it didn’t want people to cancel travel plans. “We want folks to still travel, but just to exercise greater vigilance,” a State Department official told Fox News.
State also noted that they have no specific threat inside the U.S. and are issuing the alert as a general one, not one directed at any particular area inside the U.S.
The U.S. alert comes amid similar alerts by other western nations such as Belgium, which has been on high alert since late last week.